Project management for Automation and Control (MT07)
This course deals with the project management functions and responsibilities from the viewpoint of an instrumentation and controls supplier. The roles and requirements are discussed along with the techniques and tools needed to work with the project manager of the engineering organization. This course includes project initiation, definition, execution, and close out, along with the phases involved for each. A particular emphasis is placed on the functional needs of providing what the customer needs in a project execution environment.
You’ll be able to:
- Identify project types and overall goals and objectives
- Define the roles and responsibilities of project managers
- Communicate with the engineering organization project manager in a meaningful manner
- Use proven techniques in leading teams
- Develop scope of work and required work tasks
- Explain the four important objectives critical to projects vs. the three objectives typical of other projects
- Administer the development of the key deliverables of a project.
- Achieve the optimum relationships with the other project stakeholders
- Execute projects in the phases unique to an automation and control endeavor
- Lead the team to attain the project goals
- Identify customer needs and satisfaction
- Balance schedule with cost and project expenditures
What you’ll cover:
- Introduction: Scope of Course | Intent and Overall Purpose | Project Basics
- Project Manager Qualification: People Skills | Technical Knowledge | Organization Concepts | Flexibility | Responsiveness
- Types of Projects: Facility Update | Addition to Existing Process | Technology Replacement | New Facility
- Fundamentals: Activity/Phase Concept | Best Practices | Phase Interaction | What to Do/How to Do it | Do it
- Project Development: Schedule Preparation | PERT | CPM | GANT | Cost
- Initiation Phase: Vision | Mission | Strategic Plan | Estimates | Scope of Work | Customer Expectations | Quality Planning
- Project Planning: Project Plan Basics | Work Breakdown Structure | Identification of Responsibilities | Risk Management | Schedule Preparation | Project Budget Preparation
- Executing the Project: Tools | Duties | Managing Time | Leading Meetings | Prioritizing Goals | Responding to Customer | Resource Allocation | Project Deliverables | Hardware Delivery | Software Programming | Assessing and Sharing Risk | Impact of Supplier Schedule on Project
- Controlling the Project: Scope Changes | Change Management | Status Reporting and Updates | Earned Value | Expended Work Hours | Forecast to Complete
- Project Closing: Close Out Process | Final Reports | Customer Survey | Files and Storage
This course can be brought to your location. The expert instruction and training materials come to your facility. All you have to do is pick the time and place – we do the rest!
For more information on ISA’s Onsite Training, or for a comprehensive needs analysis, please e-mail us.
For a confidential price estimate on bringing any course to your location, simply complete and submit the Onsite Training Quotation Form.